Monday 6 October 2014

Ill take your friendship to the grave

Its one thing to realise that relationships can come and go, but its another thing to realise that without friends, you really have nothing.

It's played a huge role in the past couple of weeks to have a solid friendship group. With moving house, not working as much as I'd hope and just needing some personal company- it opened my eyes to how dependent I am on my friends.

It's important to have these experiences every now and again, so you remember exactly why it is you associate yourself with certain people in the first place.



For myself, I like to be alone and when things get difficult I tend to be a 'pusher'.  I like to fight things on my own and I find that I don't want to surround myself with people that will give me sympathy.

I don't know if that is a defense mechanism or just a way of proving that I am strong, but it has been in my blood since I can remember.

However, with that being said, I have realised how having close (and true) friends, can really benefit your health when struggling through tough times.



Sure, they may make me drink more alcohol than i weigh and they may drag me out of bed even when i don't want to, but at the end of the day, i feel a lot more secure knowing that even when i am going through a hard time, they still have my back.

It wasn't a huge deal to me when I was younger, to feel that I needed to surround myself in a huge friendship group. I guess that was just a part of high school and after I graduated- the friends that I associated myself with slowly disappeared.

Not that I am not friends with them now, its just I wasn't around them as often as I had hoped and in return, they weren't around me either.



I became distant and I became fond of the fact that I could tackle life head on, independently.

Don't get me wrong, it is a major tick in the box when someone can handle their own issues on their own.
But that doesn't go to say that it doesn't hurt to have a few good friends by your side chucking back shots when life gets you down and then still be there for you the next day waiting in the Maccas line hung over as hell.

I have learnt to appreciate the friends I have and it definitely is a you scratch my back ill scratch yours situation. Because I learnt a couple of weeks ago that relationships are easy. They can be broken quickly and they begin with hardly any effort.



But friendship takes maintenance and it is laborious work. But friendship is also the most rewarding because in friendship- nothing is guaranteed and nothing is expected.

You associate yourself with people with like minds and similar interest and all of a sudden they become a part of your everyday life routine.

If you're lucky, you'll become close as family and that's when you realise that your life wouldn't be the same without them.

You go about buying each other things, spending your time with particular people and investing bits of you in them without ever really confirming that they are going to return the same amount of effort towards you.



It's a risk- but a risk I have learnt is worth taking.
I am not a socially driven person and I'm quite shy when it comes to meeting new people. So it has taken me a while to adjust to having multiple friends who i trust entirely. But from an investment point of view, I would never want to return to a life where I tried to live life independently.

So I guess this is where my blog leads to-
try to make your friendships last. They are worth it. If they aren't mutual then you can weigh up the options of whether or not they are worth the time and effort.



But if you can't live a day without talking or seeing particular people in your life- don't. Invest in them and show that their friendship means everything to you and that yes, you will be taking their friendship to the grave.

That's all for now
Cheers x






SHARE:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger Templates by pipdig